Transfer your funds safely through electronic transfer (eCheck)
ECheck commonly known as the electronic check is a form of payment that is done via the internet that is funded from the bank account of the buyer. Through this mode of transfer, the recipient is supposed to receive the money within 3-6 working days or business days.
ECheck and instant transfer are same as well as different in some ways, both eCheck and instant transfer is a way to pay via the bank account while in instant transfer the money is received instantly and in case of eCheck it takes 3-6 working days. In case of e-check the only requirement is a valid bank account but in case of instant transfer, it needs to be backed by credit card or debit card which has to be registered in the PayPal account.
This method of eCheck payment is digital hence the amount can be transferred directly from the buyer's bank account to the receiver's bank account without any physical instruments involvement.
There isn’t any basic difference between an e-check or a printed check as the process time is same as both eCheck as well as printed or paper check takes the same time as 3-4 days and in case of eCheck, the person has to write a check online. If you are paying through the e-check method then the person should be aware that the shipping of your goods will not start unless the check has been cleared.
Unlike a paper check, eCheck requires a routing number, bank account number, a digitalized signature and an endorsement
The process to send money through eCheck
- In case you wish to pay through eCheck the recipient should also have the PayPal account to get the amount or have to register into a PayPal account for the transaction.
- You have to log in to your PayPal account and click on “send money” tab. Type in the recipient’s PayPal address and the exact amount that you are willing to pay.
- Next, you have to click on the personal tab to select what is your purpose of sending the money it can be your gift, or payment or other forms of payment. You need to select the purchase tab if you are buying some good or services from the person.
- You have to then select continue and then review your entire transaction, if you do not have a checking account you will have to click on the change option
- Then you will have to go to your funding options page where you have to click on “add bank account”. Here you need to enter checking account number or your bank routing number.
- Then you need to enter the recipient name and a reason why you are sending him the money. It can be for any purpose, like rent payment, or a thank you message for the service provided.
- Have a quick look at the transaction details and press “Send Money” to complete the transaction. It will take approximately three to five business days to for the eCheck to get clear. If you are already having a checking account linked to your PayPal account then the eCheck may get processed immediately and money will be sent. A backup credit card should be listed on the account.
Instruction for Buyers:
- Before you proceed with the payment make sure you have sufficient funds in your account to cover the eCheck, if not then the bank will cancel your payment request.
- If Instant Transfer option is not available in that case you cannot send an eCheck. You eCheck cannot be funded partially by a PayPal balance, hence the bank will always ask for the full amount at a time.
- You can cancel eCheck if you wish to cancel the e-check after the check is issued you need to call your bank and settle the cause in case you wish to cancel the eCheck after it has been issued in this case you need to talk to your seller to refund you the entire amount.
Instructions for sellers
- If you have to refund the entire amount through eCheck you need to maintain sufficient balance in your account as you cannot partially send the money through eCheck as the bank will request you the full money for making the eCheck payment.
What are the benefits of doing eCheck payment?
Though the time of processing for eCheck payment and printed check are the same, some people find it easier to do it through eCheck as it does not involve paperwork or traveling to the bank to deposit the check as requires to physically being present to transfer the amount to the receiver’s bank account.
ECheck is supposed to be safer and secure than the paper checks. In eCheck, the automated systems verify the details, and do the transmission and clear the funds and settlement of the accounts. These automated systems are highly regulated by the government. As a result, the e-check transactions are highly protected by high-end security systems.
In case of printed checks more people are involved and the more the persons involved the more is the breaching.
The cost of issuing an e-check is far lower than that of the paper check as this does not involve the cost of the paper and as this can be reached directly online it does not require the costs of reaching the check to the destination.
What are the commonly used electronic checks?
The most commonly used electronic check method is through direct deposit system which has been offered by many employees during transfer of the wages through online transactions. This is also helpful for taxpayers where the taxpayers can due to a refund on the federal tax returns and can through IRS(internal revenue service) can select to receive the deposited electronic check.
How does a business get the eCheck merchant account?
- The way you sign for an eCheck account for an ACH merchant account is the same as the credit card merchant account.
- Once the business has got the merchant account it will require providing the following information like federal tax ID years in business what is the estimated transaction volumes.
- This will be approved by the payment processor or merchant account provider which will take a few days time.